Some clients want to be able to map additional internal applications into emdash e.g. Price Importer or Trade Capture applications etc.
The below steps can be followed to create the application environments (e.g. DEV, UAT or PROD etc.) with relevant components to allow emdash core features to be used with any desired applications.
The template script and workflow were tested with the Price Importer (PI) application.
Any environment created for the custom application would have the following core features:
- Backup the environment Database.
- Refresh or Restore the environment Database from a backup.
- Monitor relevant Windows Services associated with the environment.
- Run Custom SQL File After the Refresh (if required).
HOW TO STEP BY STEP
- Take a backup of the emdash database BEFORE any deployment. It is strongly advised that you test these steps on your emdash TEST instance before deploying into emdash PROD so that you are familiar with the steps and procedure listed below.
- On the emdash server, login to SSMS using the emdash Service Account (e.g. svc-emdash-prod or svc-emdash-dev)
- Make a copy of the attached SQL file at C:\emdash\WorkingFolder\CreatNewApplication\Scripts\AddNewAppsToEmdash-APPNAME.sql changing the AppName suffix to desired application name (abbreviate or use short name e.g. JIRA or TPT for Triple Point).
- Edit the AddNewAppsToEmdash- APPNAME.sql script and enter YOUR specific environment details to be used for your CUSTOM application
- Execute SQL script AddNewAppsToEmdash- APPNAME.sql against the emdash database (e.g. on acme-sql2016-01)
- Import the new Workflow from xml file created for the new Application
- Make a copy of the attached templated xml file at C:\emdash\WorkingFolder\CreatNewApplication\Workflows\Environment Refresh-APPNAME.xml changing the APPNAME suffix to desired application name (abbreviate or use short name e.g. JIRA or TPT for Triple Point).
- Start command prompt with the emdash service account. Search "Cmd" > Right Click > Open file location > Shift + Right Click on "Command Prompt" > Run as different User > <e.g. svc-emdash-prod>
- Navigate to c:\emdash\installer in command prompt window
- Type below command :
emDash.Build.exe WORKFLOWS C:\emdash\WorkingFolder\CreatNewApplication\Workflows <Name of your emdash Database> <Name of your SQL Server Instance e.g. acme-sql2016-01>
N.B. All workflows (xml files) in the Workflows folder will be processed. Hence only ONE copy of the xml file should exist in this example.
- The remaining steps are configured from within emdash
- Login to your emdash instance
- Allocate the following Environment Wide Settings options in the NEW environment already created using above SQL script.
- Allocate the APPLICATION and CodeVersion to the newly created environment(s).
- Allocate the DATABASE to the newly created environment(s).
- Allocate the SERVER (if any) to newly created environment(s).
- Allocate the SERVICES (if any) to newly created environment(s).
- Check and SELECT the new environments in Workflows > Deployment Servers><in Synthetic and emdash Workflow services>
- Backup Environment
- Refresh Environment
- Check step for CustomSQLFileAfterPIRefresh applied and executed
Please do not hestitate to contact emdash support for any further help and support on this feature.